On Sunday 27 November, BlueFit staff together with Tarun ‘Taz’ Singh (From Ambulance Victoria and also a very proud Jubilee resident), hosted an invaluable education session on water safety for the Jubilee community at Club Jubilee One – Jubilee Aquatic Centre.
This session explained the importance of water safety, along with what to do should you ever find yourself in a bad situation. Following a very informative presentation conducted by Taz (Ambulance Victoria) and BlueFit, we ran a range of simulated scenarios.
Summary of topics covered during the session:
- Drowning explained & demonstrated via video footage
- CPR demonstration
- Explanation on different water types, concerns and considerations when swimming in them
- Importance of water safety
- Importance of respecting the water & the environment
- Role of a lifeguard
- Incident prevention (including risk management)
- Supervision (Including active supervision & policies)
- Lifeguard communication skills:
- Radio calls
- Hand Signals
- Rescue process & procedures (including DRSABCD)
- Different rescue types & techniques
- Demonstration of different rescues:
- Spinal Extraction – deep water
Overall, it was a very successful day where collectively BlueFit, Lotus Living & Ambulance Victoria were able to familiarise Jubilee residents on the importance of water safety in all different types of water environments and situations.
It was great to see the residents eagerly engaging in and learning about how as a community, we can all help and support each other to achieve water safety awareness and education.
BlueFit were very grateful to have the opportunity to provide the Jubilee community with these vital and incredibly important life skills & knowledge along with the support of Ambulance Victoria & Lotus Living (Developers of Jubilee).